I was recently in Portugal and I had the most amazing pea soup in Lisbon at the TimeOut Market. I had never tasted a pea soup that was so fresh, simple and flavorful. I came back from Portugal with a mission to recreate it! I really wanted the full sweetness of fresh peas to come through, so this recipe is again… super simple and nutritious. Vegan pea soup for the win!!!
I love fresh peas but I don’t care for shelling them. So much work for so few peas! I recommend using the Trader Joes fresh English peas… the only bummer is they’re not organic. Obviously organic is preferred, so feel free to swap out fresh for frozen. Peas are a great source of vitamins and minerals. According to the WHfoods, “Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus and folate. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, molybdenum, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium, and choline.” Also, just one cup of peas has 8 grams of protein! So many reasons to eat your peas. I guess mom was right. LOL.
Ingredients for Fresh Vegan Pea Soup
- 1 10 oz. package of fresh English Peas from Trader Joes (you could also use frozen peas– but IMO fresh is best)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium-sized shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- micro greens (optional)
- croutons (optional)
Vegan Pea Soup Cooking Instructions
- In a medium sized pot, over medium heat, add your oil and shallots. Saute the shallots until soft.
- Add vegetable broth and peas. Bring to a boil and then drop back down to a simmer. Cook until peas are just soft, but not mushy.
- Transfer to a blender and blend away. Transfer back to your pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your soup with your favorite toppings. I like to add microgreens and croutons… my husband likes to add pancetta.
I love the Autumn and Winter seasons because I love slurping on a delicious bowl of warm soup. Last week I was craving broccoli soup, but it seems most of the broccoli soups out there are dairy-rich. In lieu of destroying my gut, I made this super nourishing vegan spinach and broccoli soup. The spinach lends a bit of sweetness to the soup, while the broccoli lends a bit more body. This soup turned out so great that I have to share it!
Soups are one of my “go-to” meals year round. They’re one-pot wonders. And now that we have upgraded our blender to a Vitamix, I love making soups even more… lol. This spinach and broccoli soup is particularly vitamin packed with all kinds of goodies. According to Healtheating.org, “A cup of cooked broccoli contains as much vitamin C as an orange and is a good source of beta-carotene. Broccoli contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc too. It also provides fiber and is low in calories.” And according to the Vegetarian Times, “When you eat spinach that has been heated, you will absorb higher levels of vitamins A and E, protein, fiber, zinc, thiamin, calcium, and iron.”
Vegan Spinach Broccoli Soup Ingredients
- 2-3 heads of broccoli, thick stalks removed, cut the heads into small-medium size pieces
- 4 large handfuls of spinach
- 3-4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 leek, sliced, whites and light green parts only (if you don’t have any leeks substitute 1/2 of a medium yellow onion)
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- splash of extra virgin olive oil
Spinach and Broccoli Soup Cooking Instructions
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add a splash of oil and leeks. Saute leeks for 2-3 minutes, add celery and garlic and saute another 3-4 minutes.
- Add your vegetable broth and broccoli. Bring to a boil and then drop down to low heat and simmer until the broccoli is tender.
- When your broccoli is tender add your spinach and stir.
- Transfer the soup to your blender and blend until desired consistency. Add more broth or warm water if it is too thick.
- Garnish with the micro greens.
This soup is ready to eat in under a half an hour… from prep to finished product, so it’s perfect for a nourishing weeknight dinner.