I was recently in Portugal and I had the most amazing pea soup in Lisbon at the TimeOut Market. I had never tasted a pea soup that was so fresh, simple and flavorful. I came back from Portugal with a mission to recreate it! I really wanted the full sweetness of fresh peas to come through, so this recipe is again… super simple and nutritious. Vegan pea soup for the win!!!
I love fresh peas but I don’t care for shelling them. So much work for so few peas! I recommend using the Trader Joes fresh English peas… the only bummer is they’re not organic. Obviously organic is preferred, so feel free to swap out fresh for frozen. Peas are a great source of vitamins and minerals. According to the WHfoods, “Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus and folate. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, molybdenum, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium, and choline.” Also, just one cup of peas has 8 grams of protein! So many reasons to eat your peas. I guess mom was right. LOL.
Ingredients for Fresh Vegan Pea Soup
- 1 10 oz. package of fresh English Peas from Trader Joes (you could also use frozen peas– but IMO fresh is best)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium-sized shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- micro greens (optional)
- croutons (optional)
Vegan Pea Soup Cooking Instructions
- In a medium sized pot, over medium heat, add your oil and shallots. Saute the shallots until soft.
- Add vegetable broth and peas. Bring to a boil and then drop back down to a simmer. Cook until peas are just soft, but not mushy.
- Transfer to a blender and blend away. Transfer back to your pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your soup with your favorite toppings. I like to add microgreens and croutons… my husband likes to add pancetta.