Guys it’s already fall! Summer flew by, but I’m not upset about it because fall means cozy sweaters, cute boots, hot yoga, and delicious fall recipes. Speaking of recipes, let’s talk soup. I LOVE soup, but I have never been a great soup creator to be completely honest. That’s why I start simple when it comes to soup 😉
Today for lunch I made a straight up 5 star italian tomato soup. Sounds pretty basic, but there was a flavor explosion going on in my mouth! My kids loved it and slurped up the very last drop. Also the mouth watering tomato herb aroma flowing through the house wasn’t too bad either!
This particular tomato soup is so easy and takes about an hour to make from scratch! Not to mention it’s vegan as well:) Vegan tomato soup… yes please!!!
Vegan Tomato Soup Ingredients:
- 2 lbs of fresh organic tomatoes (different varieties ensures maximum flavor! I used heirloom and your typical on the vine tomatoes.)
- 1-2 organic shallots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 orgainc garlic cloves peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 springs of organic thyme, leaves picked from stem
- 1-2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- ½ heaping cup of raw cashews (soaked for at least 2-3 hours and drained)
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- ¼ cup organic basil (fresh)
- 2- 2 ½ cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Steps to Make Your Super Delicious Vegan Tomato Soup:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Slice your tomatoes. For larger tomatoes slice into quarters and for smaller slice into halves, if cherry tomatoes leave as is. Place your sliced tomatoes on baking sheet.
- Cozy up the garlic and shallots to the sliced tomatoes on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle thyme leaves over the tomatoes, garlic, and shallots.
- Then drizzle the 1-2 tbsps olive oil over the tomatoes, garlic, and shallots. Add salt and pepper to season the tomatoes. Then place baking sheet in oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- While tomatoes are in the oven blend cashews, tomato paste, basil, vegetable stock together. Set aside.
- When tomatoes are starting to look wrinkled/roasted and your mouth is watering from the very fragrant tomatoes then go ahead and pull those babies out. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and shallots to the blended cashew mixture and blend on high until your have a smooth puree soup texture. (If you have to blend a few tomatoes at a time due to space in your blender that is perfectly okay!)
- Once all blended and smooth go ahead and add the soup to a pot and bring to a simmer. Add in the balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste!
- Enjoy your delicious restaurant style soup:)