Who doesn’t like pie? I love pie. Especially when it’s some form of a vegan gluten-free superfood pie… okay I like other pies too, but after eating raw pie nearly everyday in Bali I have to get my “fix” somewhere. We made this super simple pie over Thanksgiving and it was fantastic (and only 7 ingredients)! Here is an adapted version from Dana at the Minimalist Baker. If you haven’t checked out her blog full of delicious recipes do it! And no she is not paying me to say that. Seriously though… it’s fantastic.
1 heaping, packed cup of dates, pitted (she suggests soaking them for 10 minutes in warm water… I’m not sure it was necessary, but hey why not try it yourself)
1/3 cup raw cacao
1.5 tablespoons raw maca powder
1.5 cups raw walnuts or pecans (I’ve done the crust with both and they’re both yummy)
- Add your dates, nuts, maca and raw cacao to your food processor or blender. Blend until it resembles a sticky pie crust in texture.
- Use a little coconut oil to grease the bottom of a spring form pan. Then press the crust down into the dish. I used a silicone spatula with a little coconut oil on it. Dana suggests using a sheet of plastic wrap… I think her suggestion is probably better, but the spatula worked fine.
- Place your crust in the freezer while you make the filling.
12 ounces of soft, silken tofu, drained and patted dry (It comes in the sterilized packs and is shelf stable)
1 3/4 cups of dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut cream
- In a double boiler or microwave melt your chocolate chips until they become smooth.
- In a blender combine tofu, melted chocolate chips and coconut cream. Blend until smooth and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Take your pie crust out of the freezer and fill it up with your pie filling.
- To set, put your pie in the freezer or in the fridge. (Note: Both times I’ve put it in the freezer and it was quite firm… next time I will just put it in the fridge, so it’s softer and looks like Dana’s)
Latest posts by Autumn Adams (see all)
- What Is The Meaning Of Om? - February 14, 2019
- How Mindfulness Can Help With Mood Disorders - November 29, 2018
- New Yoga Teacher Tips: What to do when you’ve lost your center - November 14, 2018