I hope your week is off to a great start yogis. Mine has started off a bit on the frustrating side, so this morning I decided to incorporate ksepana mudra into my meditation and asana practice. Ksepana mudra is the mudra for letting go and removing negativity (thoughts, people, energy, etc.) and I need it! In Sanskrit Ksepana means to throw (away), to let go, to cast off. This mudra is aptly named! Give it a go and let me know how you feel afterward.
Ksepana Mudra Practice:
To practice ksepana mudra interlace the fingers of both hands and then release the index fingers. The index fingers are touching one another. The thumbs are crossed and the thumb pads rest, more or less, in the crook between thumb and index finger. When seated and practicing this mudra the index fingers should point down. The index fingers should point toward your feet when practicing this mudra lying down.
You can also practice this mudra in your asana practice. A flow that I like to do in a seated posture.
- Begin with the mudra at heart center. Index fingers pointing up.
- On an inhale turn the index fingers to point down and slightly away, extending the arms long toward the floor.
- Using the same inhale breath sweeping the arms up overhead.
- Exhale index fingers come to the crown of the head, to the forehead, the nose, the the lip and back to the heart like a waterfall tumbling over smooth stones.
- Each inhale envision vibrant, light energy flowing into your body and on your exhale let go of negativity in any of its forms.
- Practice a total of seven times.
Benefits of Ksepana Mudra:
Ksepana mudra helps us release negativity and frustration. Practicing the mudra, especially as stated above, creates a palpable difference in our energy. I call it “the attitude adjustment”.
- “I let go of what no longer serves me.”
- “Spent energy in my body, mind, and soul flows away from me, and I thankfully accept all things that refresh me,” from Gertrud Hirsch’s book Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands.
Love and Light,
Latest posts by Autumn Adams (see all)
- Yoga Poses for Better Foot Health - June 20, 2018
- Ayurveda 101: A Healthier, More Vibrant Life with Ayurveda - May 6, 2018
- The Best Yoga for Better Posture - March 21, 2018