Hello beautiful yogis, if you would like to join this retreat please send us a message through our contact form before booking. Unfortunately, one of our venues has needed to close their doors. Nicaragua is like a second home to us and the 2018 political unrest has devastated the tourism industry. We are considering finding another venue or postponing the retreat until a future (undetermined date). We would be happy to add you to our email list, so you can stay up to date.
Love and Light,
December 31, 2019
Join Ambuja Yoga for the ultimate Nicaragua yoga retreat in April 2019. Just like we did last year, we’re combining two of our favorite yoga retreat venues for our fifth annual Nicaragua yoga retreat! Can’t decide between a retreat in the mountains or a beach yoga retreat??? You don’t have to! Our 8 night/9 day yoga retreat showcases the best of Nicaragua!
Nicaragua Yoga Retreat in the Mountains of Nicaragua
You will practice yoga overlooking the Nicaraguan cloud forest from our first base at Finca Esperanza Verde, high above Matagalpa. Finca Esperanza Verde is a tranquil oasis far away from the heat of the lowlands. This working organic coffee farm turned eco-resort is the perfect antidote to frenetic city life. Once you step foot onto the property the stress of life back home becomes a thing of the past.
Our local guides will take us out to explore the many miles of beautifully maintained hiking trails that crisscross the property. They will help us spot howler monkeys, two and three-toed sloths, parrots, toucans, hummingbirds and so much more!
Ambuja Yoga is big on community and creating connection, so we will visit Mujeres del Plomo for a jewelry making workshop. The women of Mujeres del Plomo have created a women’s co-op with a powerful story of community, hardship and triumph. We love them and think you will too.
One of our favorite experiences at Finca Esperanza Verde is to have the local band come over to play for us as we roast marshmallows over the fire and dance under one of the most impressive banners of stars we’ve ever seen! It’s a perfect way to celebrate our time in the mountains.
Yoga will be practiced in the covered lounge overlooking the jungle. An impressive view of rolling clouds, green jungle canopy, and abundant wildlife help us savor the present moment and the intense beauty of our surroundings.
Nicaragua Yoga Retreat Overlooking the Pacific Ocean
From our perch in the cloud forest, we will head down to the beach town of San Juan del Sur and Playa Maderas. San Juan del Sur, once a sleepy fishing village, is now a bustling seaside port with a multitude of restaurants and boutiques. We will be staying at Buena Vista Surf Club, a gorgeous eco-chic resort that boasts unbelievable beach and sunset views from its infinity yoga deck and a cool, relaxed vibe.
Playa Maderas and its famous surf break are just below the resort and a short walk away. Playa Maderas has surf breaks suitable for all levels and its sandy bottom is especially friendly for beginners.
Playa Maderas has a fun social vibe. The area attracts artists, entrepreneurs, yogis and of course surfers and backpackers on the banana pancake trail. Three restaurants lining the beach offer up everything you need to enjoy an afternoon in the sun; all offer local and international food, cold drinks and lounge chairs for rent.
From our base at Buena Vista Surf Club, we will explore Playa Maderas and San Juan del Sur. We will learn to be a kid again during our visit to Barrio Planta Project, a free supplementary school program for children in San Juan del Sur. Barrio Planta Project, or BPP, has an incredible start-up story. This will be our third year visiting Barrio Planta Project and it’s always a retreat favorite. Afterward, we will head over to one of the beachside restaurants for a cocktail and snack before heading back to Buena Vista Surf Club for supper.
There is always plenty of free time to book a massage, a surf lesson, or even a catamaran sailing trip. We encourage you to take advantage of this beautiful destination.
Back to Nature Nicaragua Yoga Retreat Dates
Friday, March 29, 2019 – Saturday, April 6, 2019
What does the Nicaragua Yoga Retreat include?
- Eight nights accommodation
- Eight breakfasts, five lunches*, and eight dinners
- Twice daily yoga and meditation classes (90-120 minutes)
- Guided yoga nidra (yogic sleep)
- Asana Tune-Up Workshop
- Roll & Release Workshop
- Two guided hikes
- Visit to Mujeres del Plomo Women’s Jewelry Co-op in San Ramon
- Live music and dancing at Finca Esperanza Verde
- Visit to Barrio Planta Project in San Juan del Sur
- Lunch and swim at Laguna de Apoyo
- Coffee, tea, and drinking water
- Carefully curated goodie bag of local treats
- Transportation from Augusto C. Sandino International Airport (MGA) to Finca Esperanza Verde, from Finca Esperanza Verde to Buena Vista Surf Club, and from Buena Vista Surf Club back to Augusto C. Sandino International Airport (MGA)
- Detailed yoga retreat packing list and pre-arrival checklist
- Surf Lesson & Board Rental at BVSC $30
- Daily Surf Board Rental $10-$20
- Catamaran sailing trip $80 plus transportation to San Juan del Sur
- Massage at Playa Maderas $40
- 30 minute Reiki treatment $25
- 1-hour private yoga $65
What does the Nicaragua Yoga Retreat exclude?
- Your transportation to Nicaragua.
- Soda, junk food, and alcoholic beverages.
- three lunches*.
- Extra add-ons and excursions.
Who is our Nicaragua Yoga Retreat for?
- real people: people that love yoga, but also love having a sundowner
- yogis that want to go deeper in their practice
- yogis that want an asana tune-up
- adventurous types… or those that want to be more adventurous
- those who love nature and wildlife
- those who want to celebrate this awesome thing we call life!
- those that want to travel with a like-minded community
- those that need a technology detox
- those that love the mountains as much as they love the sea
- those that need to RELAX… there are only two mandatory events the whole 8 days!
- those who need a shift, an ignition, or a jumpstart in life, work, etc.
Who is our Nicaragua Yoga Retreat not for?
- those who want to party every night
- those who need air-con (none of our venues have it… in my humble opinion it isn’t necessary)
- those who have no yoga experience (yogis should have a basic understanding of standing postures and a willingness to explore and play on their mat)
- those who don’t want to support others in their growth on and off their mat (we’re all about community, connection and support)
Nicaragua Yoga Retreat Rates
$1858 USD per person based on double occupancy
$1598 USD per person based on double occupancy
$1558 USD per person based on triple occupancy
** Payment Plans are available upon request.**
** Discounts available for newsletter recipients.**
Meet Your Yoga Instructor
Autumn founded Ambuja Yoga in 2014 as a way to not only share her love of yoga, travel & adventure but as a way to cultivate intention, courage, joy, and grace in her students. She hopes her retreat attendees will leave her retreats with a feeling of purpose and with the ability to invite their intention into all aspects of their lives. She encourages her students to be conscious creators… to have the courage to take risks (both big and small), the courage to listen deeply to their body, to their gut, to their heart and the grace to “roll with the punches” on this messy path we call life. Learn more about Autumn’s philosophy here.
What kind of yoga practice can I expect?
- Alignment based vinyasa yoga
- Restorative yoga with a deep emphasis on relaxation
- 1.5 – 2 hour long sessions
- Sessions will occur twice a day in the morning and late afternoon
- Each session will include asana, pranayama and meditation
- Gently challenging
- New and familiar yoga asanas
- Create space and openness throughout your body
- Release stress and muscle tension
- Two optional yoga workshops: Asana Tune-Up and Roll & Release
What about hiking?
Hikers, birders, photographers, and nature lovers will love our Nicaragua Yoga Retreat. Finca Esperanza Verde maintains miles of hiking trails that wind throughout the property past stunning vistas, a beautiful waterfall, a swimming hole, and lush coffee plants. The canopy is rich with life here.
Along the trails there are multiple places to stop and take in the sights and sounds of the jungle, meditate, or read a book. Throughout our stay at Finca Esperanza Verde you are encouraged to spend your afternoons out on the trails, swimming under the waterfall or otherwise connecting with nature. The trails are all well-marked and excellently maintained (some of the best trails in Nicaragua). Head out on your own or grab a guide. While you are out on the trails you will see numerous species of birds, butterflies, and insects along with howler monkeys and if you’re lucky a sloth or two.
What about surfing?
You will experience unforgettable surfing in one of Nicaragua’s premier surf spots, Playa Maderas. The surf spot offers rippable waves for beginners to more advanced surfers. The beach consists of soft white sand, with some rocky areas creating interesting tidal pools to explore.
From the surfer’s point of view, Playa Maderas has a slow wave in reasonably deep water, with four breaks getting hollow on a rising tide – rated good for beginners. It’s a beachy offering hollow lefts and rights that handle long period swells quite well. Check out the surf report for Playa Maderas on Magic Seaweed.
Your Secluded Nicaragua Yoga Retreat Hideaways
This Nicaragua yoga and surf retreat will be held at the peaceful and serene Finca Esperanza Verde and at the uber-relaxed eco-chic Buena Vista Surf Club in Nicaragua.
Finca Esperanza Verde
Some places “pull on your heart strings” and Finca Esperanza Verde EcoLodge is one of them. Owner’s Vivianne and Andrew have created a home away from home for travelers high in the mountains above Matagalpa. Finca Esperanza Verde, set in the cloud forest, above San Ramón, supports the local community by hiring a 100% local staff and supports La Chispa, an elementary school for local children on the property. Vivianne and Andrew promote continuing education and professional development for staff, and foster a women’s jewelry collective, Colectiva El Plomo.
Finca Esperanza Verde has truly embraced the meaning of being an ecolodge. The Finca, a working organic coffee and vegetable farm, uses only responsible and sustainable methods of farming, 100% solar and hydropower electricity, a 100% carbon neutral thermosyphon system to heat water, vermiculture, composting, biodiverse landscaping, and fabulous farm-to-table meals. You will have the opportunity to enjoy Finca Esperanza’s fantastic coffee, grown and processed on site and feast on organic meals sourced from the farm’s gardens and nearby neighbors.
The Colibri, Tucan, and MotMot cabins have breathtaking views where you can watch the sunset behind the mountains as the sky begins its light show. Finca Esperanza Verde’s cabins are charming, simple and unfussy, allowing the surrounding landscape to rule the show. You will be welcomed warmly from the moment you arrive at FEV and before your stay is over you will be plotting and scheming your return. We cannot wait to host you!
You will quickly settle into the rhythm of life at Finca Esperanza Verde; sounds of the forest will lull you to sleep each evening and the howler monkeys will provide your morning wake up call. Your afternoons will be spent hiking and exploring with new friends that share similar visions and goals, cultivating gratitude for the simple and small things in your life, and discovering the types of relationships, friends and energy you want to surround yourself with when you get home.
Change your energy. Change your vibration.
Buena Vista Surf Club
Buena Vista Surf Club, our treehouse-like eco-lodge is nestled within the jungle and overlooks the ocean at Playa Maderas, one of Nicaragua’s best surf spots.
It’s an intimate setup complete with wooden cabanas, built to complement the natural environment around you. And, it’s just a five-minute walk to pristine beaches lining the Pacific Ocean!
Sea and jungle views abound. Chill out on your private terrace with a favorite book, lounge in a hammock with an ice cold Toña, or splash out on a bean bag and take in the sunset or gaze at the stars.
Our meals at Buena Vista Surf Club are made from scratch with locally sourced ingredients. Meals are served family style and are always a social affair. Themed meals could be Indian night, tacos, Thai or grilled seafood… and all are delicious!
A handful of restaurants are within walking distance, massages are available at the bottom of the hill, a cheap shuttle into SJDS is available from the beach, and if you grow tired of the beach there are hotels nearby that serve up delicious lunches poolside.
Want to learn how to surf? Surf lessons and board rentals are available on site at Buena Vista Surf Club. Schedule up a one-on-one surf lesson with the resort’s experienced surf instructor. You’ll be surfing in no time. Curious about Nicaragua’s beaches? Here is a roundup of some of our favorite beaches in Nicaragua.
Have you been on a yoga retreat with Ambuja Yoga?
Have you been on a yoga retreat with Ambuja Yoga before? You’ll receive 10% off of your next retreat. Contact Ambuja Yoga for further details.
Will this be your first retreat? We would love to have you join us. We’re here to answer questions all along the way. Hesitant about attending a yoga retreat? Read about a few of the most common yoga retreat myths on our blog.
Nicaragua Yoga Retreat Daily Schedule*
7:30-9:30 AM Morning Yoga (Vinyasa Yoga)
9:30-10:30 AM Breakfast
10:30-4:30 PM Free Time/Hike/Seva/Surf/Hammock
4:30-6:00 PM Afternoon Yoga (Restorative Flow/Workshop)
7:00-8:00 PM Dinner
8:00-? PM Free Time
*Schedule is subject to change.
Check out the Ambuja Yoga Facebook page to see updated pics, news and deals!!! Can’t wait to see you there!!!
Nicaragua Yoga Retreat Travel and Reservation Info
Travel Routes and Travel Tips
We’ve found great deals on flights to Managua on Delta, United and American Airlines. Depending on where you are flying from you may have an overnight layover in Houston, Miami, etc. If you will be arriving in Nicaragua early (or staying longer), I am happy to make recommendations for safe, comfortable, quirky places to stay in Managua (and further afield i.e. Laguna de Apoyo, Granada, Corn Islands, and San Juan del Sur).
Airlines that fly into Managua, Nicaragua (MGA) from the United States
- American Airlines
- Spirit Airlines
Other airlines that fly into Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)
- TACA / LACSA
- US Airways
Airlines that fly directly into Liberia**, Costa Rica (LIR) from the United States
- American Airlines
Other airlines that fly into Liberia**, Costa Rica (LIR)
- US Airways
- TACA / LACSA
- Air Canada
** If you will be flying into/out of Liberia you will be responsible for your transportation to the group meet up point. Please contact Autumn for suggestions.
Arrival and Departure Information
Your airport pick-up for the Nicaragua Yoga Retreat will be in Managua on Friday, March 29, 2019 and drop off will be Saturday, April 6, 2019. Please arrive by 12:00 pm in Managua (MGA). The group will depart Buena Vista Surf Club at 7 am arriving at the airport at approximately 10-10:30 am. Please do not schedule your departing flight before noon on April 6, 2019. Arrivals after 12:00 pm on March 29, 2019 and those departing earlier than noon on April 6 will need to arrange their own transportation to/from the retreat venue (private taxi rates $120-$125).
- Arrival Day Schedule*
- 12:00 PM Airport pickup
- 4:00 PM Arrival to retreat center
- 4:30 PM Welcome beverage and a light snack
- 5:30 PM Opening circle, sun salutations and yoga nidra/savasana
- 7:00 PM Dinner
- Departure Day Schedule*
- 6:00 AM Prepare for departure
- 6:30 AM Light Breakfast
- 7:00 AM Depart Buena Vista Surf Camp for Airport
- *Schedule subject to change.
We encourage our students to arrive a few days early or stay a few days longer. Nicaragua is an amazing country worth exploring. Here are some of our favorite Nicaragua adventures and we’re happy to offer recommendations for your trip.
Travel Insurance is required for all international yoga retreats with Ambuja Yoga. Many policies will help cover theft, travel delays and evacuation should you need it. It may also protect you in case of trip cancellation due to illness or death of a family member.
Nicaragua Visa Requirements
A visa is not required for most countries (including the US, Canada, and most European countries). Citizens of some countries do require a Visa on arrival. All tourists are required to pay for a Tourist Card upon arrival. The fee for the tourist card is $10 USD.
Nicaragua Yoga and Surf Retreat Reservation and Payment Policy
A 50% deposit holds your place for this retreat. Final payment must be received by February 28, 2019. Ambuja Yoga currently accepts Certified Cheques, Paypal, Square and bookings through WeTravel.com. Reserve your space today!
Nicaragua Yoga and Surf Retreat Cancellation Policy
- The deposit amount is refundable until December 1, 2018 less any associated bank fees. After December 1, 2018 the deposit becomes non-refundable. However, if you can fill your space your deposit may be transferred to another individual.
- If written Notice of Cancellation is received between December 2, 2018 and February 1, 2019 the refund amount will be as follows: the amount paid minus bank fees (if applicable) minus non-refundable deposit minus $100 office fee.
- If written Notice of Cancellation is received after February 1, 2019 there will be no refund granted.
- If Ambuja Yoga must cancel the retreat due to illness, death, or extenuating circumstances 100% of money paid to Ambuja Yoga will be refunded within 30 days of retreat cancellation. Ambuja Yoga is not responsible for guest’s costs and expenses incurred in preparation for any canceled trips.