Kiss that skunky gym mat goodbye! Toss this nice smelling DIY yoga mat cleaner into your gym bag or yoga bag and you’ll never have to smell a stinky yoga mat again… unless it’s REALLY bad. A clean mat will not only last longer, but it will also keep you from getting sick or getting a fungal, bacterial or viral skin infection. I like the DIY version because I can play with the scents and have one for my morning practice and one for my evening practice… think citrus (energizing) vs. lavender (calming). Creating your own yoga mat cleaner from natural ingredients makes it that much easier to maintain a sattvic (pure) lifestyle, beginning to incorporate the principles of sattva into our daily routines (diet, behavior, products we use).
Here is my DIY yoga mat cleaner recipe. Happy cleaning!
Ingredients for DIY yoga mat cleaner:
- Spray bottle
- Tea tree essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Witch Hazel or distilled white vinegar
Instructions for DIY yoga mat cleaner:
- This recipe will be in proportions, since your spray bottle will likely be a different size than the ones that I use.
- Fill your spray bottle about 3/4 way with water. Remaining 1/4 with witch hazel or distilled white vinegar.
- Add 15 or so drops of tea tree essential oil and 10 or so of your second oil. Feel free to adjust the amounts and remember a little goes along way, so if you’re working with a smaller spray bottle start with fewer drops.
- Seal it, shake it up, and toss it in your mat bag with an old wash cloth and you’re good to go.
Why tea tree essential oil? Tea tree oil (melaleuca) is an intense anti-fungal and antimicrobial.
Why lavender essential oil? Lavender is a natural antiseptic and antimicrobial. Lavender is also calming and great for those with sensitive skin.
Don’t like lavender? Try lemongrass, clove bud, eucalyptus, lemon, myrhh, geranium, peppermint/spearmint or patchouli.
If you’d rather just buy a yoga mat cleaner here are a couple natural ones that I recommend:
Latest posts by Autumn Adams (see all)
- 11 Important Questions to Ask Before Choosing Your Yoga Instructor Course - March 14, 2018
- Good Sleep Hygiene Begins with Healthy Sleep Habits and Your Evening Routine - March 12, 2018
- Time Management for Yoga Instructors - February 8, 2018