I have been fortunate to work with many pregnant mamas through my prenatal yoga class in Bend, Oregon at Midtown Juniper Yoga. It is always a blessing and joy to watch these strong, beautiful women share their vulnerability, while nurturing themselves and their babies throughout their pregnancies. Often times the women that come to my class already have a yoga practice, but occasionally prenatal yoga is their introduction to yoga and what a wonderful loving way to be introduced to the practice and to experience all of the benefits of prenatal yoga.
Here I would like to share the benefits of prenatal yoga with you. If you’re reading this you’re likely already pregnant or know someone that is. Congrats! What an exciting time. As you seek out prenatal yoga classes in your area I encourage you to talk with the instructor before class. Find out their training. Do you like their energy? Do they also teach birth prep? Do they have a network of providers that they can recommend? Can they offer you modifications for both prenatal yoga classes and regular group classes?
Here are 5 Benefits of Prenatal Yoga:
- Reduced stress and anxiety.
- Improved sleep.
- Relief from common pregnancy related aches and pains.
- Connection with a community of women and your baby.
- Improved muscle tone, strength and flexibility.
Contraindicated Yoga Postures During Pregnancy:
- Deep twists.
- Prone postures (lying on your belly).
- Deep backbends.
- Lying on your back for a long period of time (savasana).
- Standing with legs wide for an extended period of time.
Don’t let this list of contraindicated postures scare you. They can all be modified into a beautiful and fulfilling yoga practice… a practice where you can enjoy all the benefits of prenatal yoga.
I could easily make this list twice as long, but I’d like to keep it short and simple.
Need pregnancy yoga resources or live somewhere where you cannot find a prenatal yoga class? Here are some highly recommendable resources:
- Blooma: prenatal yoga videos
- Mamalates: pilates for mamas
- Yoga Mama Yoga Baby: Book about Ayurveda and yoga for pregnancy
- Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful: Kundalini inspired book for pregnancy with lovely meditations, yoga practices, and breathing exercises
- Spinning Babies: website for optimal fetal positioning
Latest posts by Autumn Adams (see all)
- 11 Important Questions to Ask Before Choosing Your Yoga Instructor Course - March 14, 2018
- Good Sleep Hygiene Begins with Healthy Sleep Habits and Your Evening Routine - March 12, 2018
- Time Management for Yoga Instructors - February 8, 2018