I’m always trying to find ways to incorporate more veggies into my diet and Steve and I have been on a cauliflower kick lately or maybe I should say still! We make this AMAZING creamy cauliflower soup every fall and winter, so it’s not a surprise that it would show up here. The hazelnuts really give this soup a rich, creamy texture. It’s perfect for the cooler fall weather we’ve been having in Bend.
Toasted Hazelnut and Cauliflower Soup Ingredients
- 1 head of cauliflower, florets only
- 3-4 large shallots, sliced into 1/4 inch ribbons
- 2/3 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 4 roasted garlic cloves, minced
- 7-8 cups of veggie broth
- 2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Easy Instructions for Your Hazelnut and Cauliflower Soup
1. Toast the hazelnuts in the toaster oven or regular oven. Our toaster oven gets nice and hot and it took less than 8 minutes to get them a nice golden color. Be careful not to burn the hazelnuts. Once the hazelnuts are toasted remove the skins by rolling them between your hands. Discard the skins.
2. Heat oil on medium in a large soup pot. Add shallots and saute until soft and then add garlic being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the cauliflower florets to the pot and saute for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Now it’s time to add the veggie broth. Start with 5-6 cups. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. Depending on how much liquid cooks off you may want to add another cup or two of broth, so your soup won’t turn out like baby food.
5. Once the cauliflower is tender and the broth has simmered down let it cool slightly, then add it to your blender or food processor with the toasted hazelnuts. Blend until the soup reaches your desired consistency. I was able to put the entire batch into our blender, but it might be necessary to blend in batches. (Note: sometimes I like to pre-blend/process the toasted hazelnuts, it seems to give the soup a creamier texture)
Latest posts by Autumn Adams (see all)
- Ayurveda 101: A Healthier, More Vibrant Life with Ayurveda - May 6, 2018
- The Best Yoga for Better Posture - March 21, 2018
- 11 Important Questions to Ask Before Choosing Your Yoga Instructor Course - March 14, 2018